Office: 978-494-6730
Menu / Navigate
Secondary Nav

Baby-proof the house and secure your child’s future

Modern couples often include couples who live together, but are unmarried. It has become common for couples to live together before ever deciding to marry. When you have live together, you share many things. You and your partner may also have children. In Massachusetts 33.4 percent of children are born to unmarried mothers.

Just because you aren’t married, doesn’t mean that you don’t want to plan ahead for your family’s future. It is especially important that unmarried couples plan for the unexpected.

If you passed away tomorrow, would your children, your partner’s children and your partner have financial stability? Would they be able to stay in the house that the two of you turned into a home?

What if both you and your partner tragically passed? Would the children that you’ve raised together be split up by relatives? Would relatives argue over who will take care of your children?

The loss of a parent is devastating for a child. If they have to struggle through arguments over who will care for them after they’ve lost a parent it can be worse.

All couples, married or not, should choose a guardian for their children and create an estate plan. A guardianship gives the person you have selected particular rights and obligations regarding your child. This is an important decision that will require a lot of thought. You should also have a discussion with the candidate you choose to make sure they are understanding and willing to take on the role if they need to.

When considering a guardian for your children, ask yourself these questions:

  • Who is the most capable of raising my child?
  • Who would honor my parenting style and continue using my methods?
  • Who would be willing to take on the task?
  • Who do I feel most comfortable leaving my children with?
  • Who would be able to devote the necessary time and energy to my children?

You should consider having multiple alternatives as guardians in the event of your passing. It is okay to name a long-term guardian, but also have a legal plan in place for what will happen immediately after a crisis. If you plan to name a couple as guardians, also make a plan for what should happen in case the couple were to split.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact The Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy


The Law Offices of Kimberly Butler Rainen
21 Central Street
Andover, MA 01810

Phone: 978-494-6730
Phone: 978-409-1928
Fax: 978-849-8212
Map & Directions

office office office office

We are in a 1700s Colonial located on the intersection between Brook Street, Central Street and Essex Street in historic downtown Andover, Massachusetts. The parking lot entrance is located on Brook Street, which is a one-way. From Central, turn down Essex Street. Before reaching the railroad tracks, when you see the St. Augustine Church on your right, take a sharp left turn on to Brook Street, which will turn you back toward Central Street. As you ascend the hill back toward Central Street, you will see large stone pillars on either side of the entrance to our parking lot. We have assigned parking spaces numbered 7 and 10.

From the parking lot, you may take the stairs located on the rear, left-side of the building up to the garden area, where the foyer entrance to our office is located. You can also follow the sidewalk on Brook Street up to Central Street, walk along Central Street past the main house entrance (with a wrought iron gate across the walk way) to an opening in the wrought iron fence, in to the garden area where the foyer entrance to our office is located.